Hardly a day goes by and we don't hear of another program to assist homeowners who might be facing foreclosure. There is so much information out there, that it can be overwhelming or difficult trying to figure out what's real and what is a scam.
In New York , the Attorney Generals office does provide many useful guides for consumers; one such brochure is How to avoid foreclosure and rescue scams. By following the tips listed in this brochure you might be able to ward off foreclosure by acting quickly or at least avoid the scams.
Here are a few of the tips:
- Having problem making your payment contact your lender
- Always pay your lender directly don't give someone else the money to make the payment.
- Always understand any documents you have to sign.
- For counseling contact www.hud.gov or call 1-800-569-4287
- If you were scammed call 1-800-771-7755 or visit www.oag.state.ny.us
The reality is that almost every community has been affected by foreclosure. Hard to believe this word is now a household terms. If you know someone who might be facing such a crisis just remind them that there could be help available.