When the warm weather arrives many of us are in the mood to do some work on our home. If you are like me hiring a contractor would be the only choice.
Each year we hear of many NY homeowners getting scammed, especially seniors, by unscrupulous contractors. The truth is this can be avoided by following some simple steps.
The Attorney General Office of NY has provided information in the form of a factsheet to help you avoid the pitfalls of hiring a contractor.
Here are the points covered.
- Know what you want done
- Permits needed
- Shopping for a contractor
- Getting references and actually checking them
- Is the contractor insured?
- Is the contractor licensed?
- Why you should not pay all the money upfront
- Make sure estimates and other agreements are in writing
- Find out where the payment is being held.
- Work only with contractors who will provide all of the above
- Last but not least, check to make sure the contractor is not on a list of contractors with judgements or complaints www.nyknowyourcontractor.com
Originally posted on Trulia