Winterize your Upstate NY home|Dutchess County home
It is time to Winterize your Upstate NY home in Dutchess County since winter could be rather harsh in this region. The checklist below will give you an idea of things you should be doing right now.
Each year during the winter there are reports of people dying as a result of fires and carbon monoxide poisoning. Many of the cases could have been prevented, so some of what you will be doing could make a difference in how safe you will be this winter
Items to address as you Winterize your Upstate NY home|Dutchess County home
- Have you had your furnace inspected? if not, you should. A leak could result in carbon monoxide poisoning.
- With that in mind, do you have carbon monoxide detectors installed? if so, when last did you check the batteries? Maybe the unit need to be replaced.
- Do you have a backup generator? make sure this is in good working condition. Each year poorly operated generators cost lives.
- Do you use a wood-stove or fireplace? When was the last time you had the chimney cleaned? keep in mind build up in the chimney could lead to a fire.
- Do you have a fire extinguisher? If so, is it up to date?
- How is the roof? Check to see if any repairs are needed. During the winter there will be freezing and thawing going on and you really don’t want a leak then.
- Make sure your gutters and downspouts are clean. Maybe you want to wait until the fall foliage have fallen, then clean the gutters
- Is your home drafty in spots? Find these areas and use weatherstripping and caulk to seal them.
- If you haven’t sealed your driveway; Do this immediately before the days get colder.
- If you have small openings please make sure these are addressed, since you are not the only one seeking warmth, critters might join you.
- Gather items for an emergency kit, basic items, flashlights, batteries, candles, can food, band aids etc.
- For snowbirds, make sure you drain your plumbing system before going south. May arrangement with a neighbor or friend to stop by periodically.
There are many more items to consider and it is now Time to Winterize your Upstate NY home|Dutchess County home
Originally posted at : Time to Winterize your Upstate NY home