The NYS STAR exemption
The NYS STAR exemption lower the school taxes you are required to pay. The New York State Department of Taxation and Finance implemented a new program to cut down on fraud, therefore to continue receiving this exemption you will have to register with the department by December 31st.
Things to keep in mind about the STAR exemption
- If you have the Enhanced Star available to seniors you don’t need to register. However some seniors never applied for the Senior STAR use this opportunity to do so, it will significantly lower your school taxes
- If you have more than one house you can only get the STAR on one house.
- If you don’t have a computer you can call the hotline for help 518-457-2036 8:30am – 8:00 pm Mon-Fri and 900am – 1:00pm on Sat. Dial extension 711 for Relay Service.
- You can register online
- If you misplaced the STAR Code sent to you by the New York State Department of Taxation you can look up the STAR code. You will need the code to register.
- You will need the following information to complete the registration, names of property owners, property address and social security numbers.
- Remind your friends and family to get registered.
New York State Department of Taxation Video
The savings offered by the STAR program you can’t afford to give up.
Information for the post obtained from the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance.