Camping in New York State where to go
If you are planning your summer vacation and you are thinking of going camping in New York State you are probably wondering where are the best camping areas?
Now and then I get an email from the governor's office on a variety of subjects, and this morning it was the New York camp guide. Although I am not personally a camper, I know this is how many families spend part of their summer vacation.
New York State Camp Guide by regions
The guide broke down camping sites in New York State into regions which you can view on this map or find below
- Finger Lake
- Long Island
- Thousand Island
Campgrounds near Hudson Valley Region
If you want to be in the Hudson Valley region, then you will want to checkout campgrounds in The Taconic, Palisades and Catskills regions. One of the site mentioned was the Margaret Lewis Norrie Point Park which gives you access to the Hudson River.
Where to sleep when camping in New York State
When camping in New York State many will sleep in their campers or pitch a tent. Some of these parks also have small cabins and cottages you can rent. So if this is your first time going camping and you have not invested in camping gear, the cabins and cottages might be the way to go.
Safety while camping at a New York State Campground
It is always good to put some safety preparation in place when planning a
camping trip. Here are a few things to keep in mind.
- Make sure to identify emergency services close to the campground, hospital or emergency care facilities.
- Pay attention to the weather report, you might want to bring a Crank Radio.
- Make sure you have sufficient gas in your camper or car
- Bring an emergency first aid kit (include insect sprays)
- Bring extra food and water in case you get stuck
- If you light a fire please make sure you put it out completely before leaving the area.
- Know what to do if you encounter wildlife
- What to do if someone ingest a poisonous plant or fruit.
Wishing you all a happy camping season in New York State this summer.
Originally posted at by Jennifer Fivelsdal at Where to go camping in NY state this summer